Skip to main content
Renewing and Returning Materials
How to renew library materials:
- To renew online: 1) select "View your Library Record" from Quick Links; 2) log in using your HSC username (without the @hsc.edu) and password; 3) open the "Checkouts" tab; 4) check the box next to the item(s) you'd like to renew and click the "Renew" button.
- Call the main circulation desk at 434-223-7227 to renew over the phone.
- If you are on campus, you may renew in person.
Note: Library books and media, such as DVDs and CDs, due to be returned in 2020 have been automatically renewed until the end of the semester. This does not include laptops and audio-visual equipment loaned by the Fuqua Technology Commons.
How to return library materials:
- Two drop boxes are available: one inside and one outside on the left side of the front porch.
- Library materials can also be mailed to: Bortz Library, P.O. Box 7, Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
Obtaining materials from the library:
- If you are on campus, you may still visit the library and check out materials as usual. To expedite the process, you may wish to place books and media on "hold" using the hold button in the library online catalog. Note: this button will not function unless you are logged into your library account. Note: the door is locked so call the circulation desk for entry.
- Off campus users are encouraged to contact the circulation desk for help finding ebooks and articles to support their research via email (email@example.com) or by calling 434-223-6267.
Report a Problem
Bortz Library is working hard to improve access to library resources and databases both on and off-campus. Please use this form to report any broken links, issues with your account or login, or any other strange behavior you encounter when using our resources or website. Thank you for your patience and patronage!
Best Practices for Accessing Library Resources from Home
Initial access should be through the Library Website. Some common methods are:
- The A-Z Database List
- Find a Journal
- The main search box
- The library catalog
Unless otherwise specified in the description, when you click on a subscription resource -- such as an ebook, journal article, or database -- you will be prompted to login via the proxy service. Use your College email/Canvas name and password to log into this account. The login screen will look like this. If you see something else, please contact a librarian or fill out the "Report a Problem" form below.
DO NOT INCLUDE "@HSC.EDU" IN THE USERNAME FIELD
Note: When you close your browser you will be automatically logged out unless you save your username and password via your browser or password manager.
Forming good men and good citizens since 1776.